Work in Sweden

In Sweden, occupational therapist is a protected professional title that may be used only by those who hold a licence to practice. Licenses/registrations are carried out by the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) and apply to occupational therapists educated both in Sweden and abroad.

The license to practice also entails a responsibility to have sufficient knowledge of the Swedish language in order to be able to communicate with the patient/client and other professionals in the team, as well as documenting medical records according to pertinent law. The registration also comprise the obligation to be familiar with Swedish legislation in the field of healthcare.

Read more about how you can prove your skills in Swedish and apply for a licence.

As member of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT), we recommend you to have your exam from a WFOT recognised programme.

Immigration regulations

Regulations vary depending on whether you are a Nordic citizen, an EU or a non-EU citizen. Information can be found at the Migration Board (Migrationsverket).